Saturday, November 30, 2013

Sunday Brunch: And Now For Something Completely Different....



Since my previous two posts were about butter and eggs---I figured I’d find a way to get these two adorable soul mates together like a happy ending in a romantic comedy. 

Let me start by saying, I am NOT one of those folks connected to my cell phone or iPad.  I’m a busy person and I prefer seeing the beauty of the world all around me-----not experiencing it thru a two-inch screen.

But I’m not immune to the modern conveniences----IF they’re actually convenient. 

Several years ago, a friend urged me to join Facebook.  She promised all sorts of joys and wonders and magic beans----“It’s fun!  You’ll like it!   You NEED to be on Facebook!” 

Not long after, when the giant beanstalk of excitement failed to sprout, I was ready to send Facebook packing the same way I’d cancelled my My Space account within the first 24 hours.  That is, until my old friend (and new Facebook friend) Ann in Minneapolis wrote that she made a panakuchen---and ate the whole thing!

Facebook suddenly had a purpose in my life. 

I went online and begged her for the recipe.

Pana-what, you ask?

During my time in Minneapolis, I came to appreciate many of the warm Scandinavian comfort foods you can still find in grandma kitchens everywhere from Bemidji to St. Paul to Albert Lea.  Minnesota comfort foods are designed for below zero weather.  They stick to your ass and take the chill out of your bones.

And what is more comforting than a warm, fat ass?

Not even Minnesota Wild Rice Soup sticks to your ass like a big, buttery panakuchen.

Oh yeah---there’s half a stick of butter in this baby.

Panakuchen is essentially a German or Scandinavian pancake/crepe. I've seen various spellings, but this is the one Ann used for her recipe, so that's what I'm going with. She said this was her Auntie Anne's recipe and it’s a super easy and delicious surprise for your next Sunday brunch.

Auntie Anne's Panakuchen 

Ingredients: 
2 eggs 
3 shakes of nutmeg 
1/2 cup unbleached flour 
1/2 cup of milk 
1/2 a stick of butter 
* I added 1 tablespoon of sugar to the recipe, just because I felt like it. 

Directions: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put half a stick of butter in a glass pie pan. I'm originally from a little further south, so I tend to use salted butter, even in a lot of baked goods---so that's what I used here. Put this in the oven and let it melt and slightly brown. While this is working, beat two eggs with a wire whisk in a small bowl. I used fresh grated nutmeg, and added the equivalent of “three shakes”. I then whisked in the flour, milk and sugar till smooth. By then, the butter had melted and I simply poured the mixture into the pie pan and put it back in the oven on the middle rack. 

Now I just had to wait for 20 minutes.

However, 15 minutes in, I began to smell yummy buttery goodness emanating from my oven and I couldn't resist taking a peek. 

I opened the oven door and saw that beautiful pop-over rise occurring all around the edges of the pie pan! I quickly shut the door for fear my panakuchen would fall and got out my camera. This lady was BEA-U-TI-FUL!!! 

Five minutes later, it was perfectly done and I immediately began breaking it apart and eating it just plain and hot out of the oven.

Halfway thru my ravenous feast, I pulled out the jar of lingonberry jam I'd picked up on my last trip to Ikea and spread bits of jam on each bite. And yes, like Ann, I ate the whole thing!

Ann suggested pretty much any topping from fresh fruit to whipped cream, maple syrup, fruit spreads... It's so delicious and attractive that you could easily just dust it with a little powdered sugar and serve.

After I ate it, I posted my own Status Update, thanking Ann for the delicious panakuchen recipe and posting the picture I'd taken before I began ripping it apart. Happily, Ann was also on Facebook at the time and was thrilled that I'd tried it, "Butter-licious, isn't it?"

Come on…  You know you wanna eat this.  Just do it!  It’s not even December.  Nobody’s going to see your fat ass in public till May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment